Monday, March 7, 2011

So last week was a bit nuts!  Thursday, I guess it was, Mom took Oliver to get more tests at the vet's, to which they said on Friday that he needed to come in for IV because he was quite ill.... So he was there most of the day and then they called to say that he needed to be in a trauma care facility where they could address his issues and do it quickly before it took a turn for the worse.

Jeff drove my mom and Oliver downtown and he's been at Vet Emergency Clinic at 920 Yonge since Friday.  Diagnosis is Diabetic Ketoacidosis, which is when your pancreas isn't producing enough insulin, as a result it starts producing the toxic bodies called ketones, essentially filling him with poison, trying to kill red blood cells and attempting to damage his other organs.  He was a very, very sick little man.  I went up after work and met them both and then kissed Oliver goodbye so they could start figuring out what was wrong with him.  This place gets answers so quickly it's amazing!  So Saturday comes along, I drove down to Oakville to see Bernadette, and her dogs, as I haven't seen her in a bit and she got a new job in Oakville so there's no reasonable prospects of seeing her downtown anymore for a smoke or whatever on a break.  It was spring weather, rainy, hydroplaning type weather....Got there, said hellos and got to meet the newest Daschund, Moxie.  Everyone was happy, had a nice coffee and chat with her and then 2 hours later, I was off back home to pick up Jeff and Mom and head down to the city to see Oliver again.  Only that didn't work out, Jeff got a call from his brother for help with something, Mom wouldn't let me drive their car because something to do with the struts needing to be fixed.. *rolls eyes*, we decided forget it, we'll just get an update later on as to how he's doing.  So I took a slight detour home, went a bit further north on the 427 than I wanted to be.  Got home, Jeff basically left right away to head to Barrie and I stayed back and cleaned and cooked dinner. 

Saturday, Oliver apparently ate a bit and he was wagging his tail and totally loving everyone that gave him any attention. 

Sunday morning, got up and got ready for the day.  Called downtown to see if we could visit and we could, but a brief one.  So we drove over to get Mom, drove down and spent all of 5 minutes with him but it was the best 5 minutes with him we've had in a long, long time.  He was laying down and as soon as he heard our voices, he jumped up on all 4's and started wagging his tail like a maniac and he was carrying on like his usual vocal self that he is.  We hadn't seen that in so long from him, so for us that was encouraging to see.  We all were nearly in tears of joy.  So slowly, he's getting better.  When we left, he was all excited and happily barking because we think he wanted to come home.  lol  The end of Sunday night, the IV flushing has gotten rid of most or if not all ketones, he had a blood transfusion that went smashingly, that brought his red blood cell count and he was starting to eat a bit more too.  So today he's being moved from the ICU to critical care and I think they want to do an MRI to see if there's anything going on in the brain bc of the 3 seizures in a month... so we'll see how that shapes up.

Yesterday, after the city, I went to my advanced aerial class and wow - just wow.  There was myself, Alex and another woman and it was nice to have the one on one, not like the other class.  Plus, we were able to work on things that most people wouldn't even fathom doing as a beginner.  My arms, chest and hips hurt today.  It was awesome though, I did both left and right AND middle splits in the silks, I haven't done middle splits in decades people!!  lol

After that, did the usual errands, groceries, went and got dog food and went over all their treats with a guy there to see if he notices anything problematic vis a vis allergies.  (Charlie is still sporting the cone to help his scratching, but he's been good so we've been letting him have it off for a bit each day.)  Yesterday, brought bones home and let Charlie snack on that, without cone and I later put them up on the entertainment unit last night to save for later because I didn't think it was fair Baxter snacking on one when I had put Charlie's cone back on.  So, they've both been staring up at the Ent unit since then.  LOL

Let's see.  Scuba class/pool training is this weekend! AHHHH!  Which reminds me, I need to buy a dive computer.  Both Saturday and Sunday will be about 9 to 4 or so in Queensville with Jack.  So I'm just trying to finish up my studying and tests and then I'll be good to go. 

Day 22 — A favorite joke - I can never remember jokes.  I'm that chick that forgets how jokes go and then end up ruining the entire joke.  Not cool.


Day 23 — A video - Umm don't have one on this pc.

Day 24 — A travel story
Hmmm, which travels should I discuss.  I really, really miss the time we had in Europe last summer, it was such a great experience, seeing new and old things with Jeff on his first trip overseas.  Can't wait for many more. :)

Day 25 — A favorite photo - what's with all these photo requests!?  lol No, nothing at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36821951-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();